Saturday, September 24, 2016

Black in Vermont: Being Stared at .... Ugh

If you are black in Vermont, chances are you will be STARED AT! When I lived in Vermont I was stared at ALL THE TIME and so were the other people of color living in Vermont. Now, do not tell me that “they stared at you because you were an out -of -towner.” That is not why they were staring at me. Many other students and non-native Vermonters who were white (or white passing) were not stared so BYE FELICIA.

How did I deal with it?
I just got used to it lol. Or, I would stare back at them if they were really annoying about it.

Why were they staring?
Obviously, I am not a mind reader but they were not staring to be rude. Yes, it is rude to stare, but since Vermont is one of the whitest states in the nation, it is fascinating for some people to see a person of color.   Now, I will say that there are some people (in the minority though) that stare to be malicious, but in that case staring back will get them to back off lol.

What should I do if I am being stared at and it bothers me?
You can just go up to them and say hello! I had an instance where this woman was staring at me MAD CRAZY! This lady was not even hiding the fact that she was just staring me down smh. I started up a conversation with her and asked her politely if she wanted to ask me something because she was staring at me. Now, this lady got really embarrassed lol and chatted with me for thirty seconds and then stopped looking at me.


Disclaimer: This post and this series are not meant to say that everybody in Vermont is and/or was racist. This post and series are just about my experience being black in Vermont. This series is meant to serve as a guide for people of color who will be moving to Vermont or will be moving to an area that lacks diversity of people. 

No comments:

Post a Comment