Tuesday, January 3, 2017

What is Conventional Beauty?

A month ago I was riding in an Uber and my Uber driver told me that I was "so articulate." This may seem like a compliment... but it is not, it is a microaggression to call a black person "articulate." If you are confused as to way this offensive then please READ THIS and READ THIS and READ THIS and READ THIS and finally READ THIS. What I learned in Vermont is that I WILL NEVER MAKE RACIST, BIGOTED, OR SEXIST  people feel comfortable. Therefore, I told him that I do not speak any different from any other person which made him backtrack his statement lol. Finally, this man told me that Lupita Nyong'o was not conventionally beautiful but she was beautiful. The way he said this seemed VERY problematic to me. What is conventional beauty? I immediately challenged him. I told him (in classic SJW fashion) that people who do not have blond hair, blue eyes, and Caucasian features are just as beautiful as those who fit his definition of "conventional beauty." For example, Jessica Simpson and Lupita look very different from one another but they are BOTH conventionally beautiful because they are BOTH beautiful ... period! 

When he said this about Lupita it was plain to me that he was implying that it was surprising for a dark-skinned African woman to be seen as pretty. If any of what I am saying so far confuses you them please READ THIS

Attitudes like this are why there are many women of color with low self-esteem issues and I refuse to tolerate this. I am going to be using my platform to continue to empower women, start discussions, and ultimately heal wounds. 







No comments:

Post a Comment