Monday, October 16, 2017

National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month: High School Status

Hello! This post is part of my series for National Bullying Prevention Awareness Month. If you have not seen my original post them please CLICK HERE and read it! This post is going to be relatively quick, but the message will hopefully enlighten my high school and younger readers. This post is about how high school is super fickle.

I remember when I was in law school, one of my classmates would always say “this ain’t real life.” I think this saying applies perfectly to high school. I hate to break it to some of you popular snobs, but … your high school status has a time limit. Once you graduate high school, your status will mean NOTHING. In addition, if you try to hold onto your status you will look like… AN IDIOT. In the real world, your status is based on legitimate things like your education, job, accomplishments, and etc.

If you do not believe me when I talk about high school status being fickle, then I will use my life as an example. In high school, I WAS NOT POPULAR. I was not at the bottom of the barrel and I had a group of friends, but I did not have a lot of status. I was not considered pretty and I was not considered the smartest person in my graduating class. I know that some people reading this might be shocked when I say that I wasn’t considered the smartest person in my graduating class so I will break this down for you. There were a lot of really smart people in my grade. SO, even though I graduated with high honors, got accepted to Michigan State University, got accepted to the University of Michigan, it still was not as amazing as some other people’s resumes.  

In contrast was a person that we will refer to as the devil’s apprentice lol. I call this bully by this name for legal and privacy reasons and because the name fits him (more on him in a later post).  Well, this bully was at the top one percent of popularity if you may. This person was the most popular of the popular. Needless to say, this devil had plenty of status.

Flash forward to today and I AM THE ONE WITH THE STATUS and NOT HIM. Now, I am not saying that the devil’s apprentice is living in a box. He graduated from college and is working a 9 to 5. However, HE DOES NOT HAVE STATUS … ESPECIALLY COMPARED TO THE STATUS HE ENJOYED IN HIGH SCHOOL. I on the other hand as I stated earlier have status. For example:
·     I am a celebrity interviewer
·     I have been to every continent including Antarctica before I turned 22.
·     I am a legal researcher for an Ivy League school (Columbia University to be exact)
·     I have a SUCCESSFUL BLOG
·     I interact with many notable people on the regular
·     I am a CEO
·     I graduated college in three years
·     I got my JD at the age of 23
·     I started my LLM at the age of 23
·     I have lots of influence and power
·     …. And the list continues!


So, there you have it! Do not be so in your feelings about your high school status because all of it does not last. Instead, work on making a future for yourself where you can have legitimate status like I have. Peace! 



No comments:

Post a Comment