Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Black in Vermont: Being Seen as a Jezebel etc.

DISCLAIMER: The examples that are given below were not all committed by people from Vermont. This blog is about my experience in Vermont. Not everyone in Vermont behaves this way of course, but this blog is part of a therapeutic series that serves to educate. My voice will not be silenced lol.  I also apologize because this post will contain language that I never use in my posts in order to tell a situation, educate, and make a point.

First and foremost, CLICK HERE to know where the term “Jezebel” even comes from. After you watch this video, please CLICK HERE to further educate yourself about the Jezebel stereotype that I will be discussing in this blog post.  Make sure that you also check out the hyperlinks that I have sprinkled throughout this post as well!

As a black woman, I am used to being subjected to “racial fetishization” and I also know that other women of color are subjected to this as well.  For example, many Asian women have spoken about how they have been stereotyped as submissive and Latina women are stereotyped as spicy. As a black woman, I will share with you several examples of where I was stereotyped as a Jezebel in the state of Vermont. Before I begin sharing my experiences I must state a disclaimer. BLACK WOMEN ARE STEREOTYPED AS JEZEBELS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD!!!!! However, since Vermont is of the least diverse states in the nation; I noticed that I was treated as a Jezebel more times in Vermont than I was in other parts of the nation that I have traveled to or lived in.

The “Hot Black Girl”
While in Vermont I was called a “hot black girl” by many people. I was also told that I made “black women look good.” Now, those that were saying this definitely meant this as a compliment. I mean, I am a beautiful sister and a lot of these men had never interacted with a black person before. However, one would never call someone “a hot white girl” because white women in America are seen as the standard of beauty. Under white supremacy, black women are seen as the ugliest of all women. Therefore, when a white man calls me a hot black girl, that it is like saying, “You are pretty for a black girl” which is rude at the very least.

Aside from being seen as a Jezebel, black women are also seen as ghetto. I know that I give Michelle Obama tease, and that is definitely the opposite of ghetto. Since these men have little to no interaction with black women, all they see of black people are the stereotypes in the media. Therefore, these men are surprised and pleased when they see a strong beautiful sister. They think that I am this unique amazing anomaly. However, I know many sisters who are little Michelle Obamas in training in their own unique ways.


Clementine
When I was in the grocery store an older man kept staring at me with lust in his eyes. I am used to being stared at in Vermont since I am black, but this was very creepy. I tried to give him a death stare, but even that did not work and this man began to talk to me. The man told me that, “The clementines that I was holding complimented my skin color and made me look like a painting.”  You best-tah believe that I checked that fool… SWIFTLY AND PROFESSIONALLY!!!   

Pizza Delivery Guy
I was ordering pizza with my home girl while we studied. When I went to pick up the pizza, the delivery guy (who was from Vermont) kept looking at me while handing me the pizza and seemed to be very silent etc. I did not think twice of this encounter until this guy texted me (he had my number since he delivered my pizza) and told me I was cute and asked me to come over that night to watch a movie with him. Now, going back to the Jezebel stereotype, this guy thought that I was easy because I was a black woman and if you think that I am jumping to conclusions… keep reading. This guy started randomly texting me (even though he knew I was not easy and was not interested). He would tell me that I was hot and that he was not trying to fetishize me because he went to college in Albany and had been around black women.  This guy did not think that he was treating me as a Jezebel, but he was. He would randomly send me messages asking me to twerk on him which is very disrespectful. Since I am black, this guy assumed that I knew how to twerk like a video vixen since this is how black women are depicted in the media. It doesn’t help that I am shaped like a video vixen (I am very curvy with big hips and I am also busty) so men that have this mentality towards black women will always target me… ugh.

“How do black girls drop that ass?”
“How are black women able to drop that ass”? Yes, this is what some racist jerk actually asked me… I wish I was lying. I remember this situation like it was yesterday, I was talking to my bestie when this guy says hi to me. I say hello back and realize that it was this guy who I REALLY did not like. Now, if I do not like someone it is for a legitimate reason. I did not like this guy because he would make really rude, racist remarks. For example, he faked an Indian accent in a class project (smh) and he also said that there was “no racism anymore” with a condescending smile, so the government should abolish affirmative action… ugh. This guy was not in a good mood so I told him I would walk him home to help him cool off … I mean … what would Jesus do? I should also add that he lived thirty seconds from where I lived and I would pass in front of his house anyway on my way home so it was not such a grand deal. As I walked home I made stupid conversation with the dude. Then, this dude asked me randomly, “How are black girls able to drop that ass?” I was shocked … WHO SAYS THAT STUFF. I went silent. This happened in December 2015 and I had three more weeks till I was moving to New York City for my last semester externship. Believe it or not, but this dude isn’t an idiot, he’s just rude. This guy KNOWS what he is doing but he simply DOES NOT care AT ALL. He could tell I was mad at his racist remarks, and he added with a condescending smile, “is it because of their calves?” Ugh… THIS GUY WOULD NOT SHUT UP!!!!! See what I had to  put up with!!!!!  


All of those experiences were horrible. The reason why I am so passionate about the Jezebel stereotype etc. is because more than half of black women are sexually assaulted. It is this type of thinking that has gone on since slavery and colonization that is the root of it. I am not saying that I was sexually assaulted, but this type of stereotyping makes it harder for black women when it comes to sexual assault cases etc. Thank you for reading this article! Peace and love!
















No comments:

Post a Comment