Monday, October 17, 2016

Kay Kay's Two Cents: Silencing People of Color

Hello! I have noticed that there is a new trend going on. This new (or maybe not so new) trend is to silence people of color when they talk about racism etc. When I shared one of my posts on social media about the racism I received in Vermont, this guy commented on my status. Now, if this guy would have just stated that not all people in Vermont are racist etc. (btw I stated this and MUCH more in my detailed disclaimer) that would have been fine. However, this guy wrote me PARAGRAPHS of  words doused in  privilege. This guy never even told me that he was sorry for the racism I dealt with! Instead, he was so busy trying to comfort himself smh. To make things worse,  this guy stated that he was my friend. Let me get one thing straight... he was NEVER my friend (and if he was... he would not be after that spectacle). In reality, he was a classmate who I spoke to and respected and you could call a friendly acquaintance. Being cool with someone and being their friend is a HUGE difference.  How can I be his friend if I do not even have his number (or never had his number lol)? There are some people out there that love to say that they are "friends" with people of color to make it seem better when they try to silence these people of color. Newsflash, we know what you are doing! It is condescending and infuriating to do this, it is almost as bad a claiming to have a black friend to show you are not racist. 


P.S. : If you choose to silence a person of color on social media... you will be drug by your edges. Consider yourself warned lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment